Oven roasted sweet potatoes are crispy and perfectly seasoned with a soft, buttery, and sweet interior. They’re the perfect side dish!
We love serving oven roasted sweet potato cubes next to mains like Instant Pot ribs, lamb chops, or pan seared pork chops. They go perfectly with holiday dinners, and make a great addition to carrot soup or roasted root vegetable soup!
How To Cut Sweet Potatoes Into Cubes
To dice sweet potatoes into cubes:
- Begin by peeling the skin off of the sweet potatoes. Once peeled, cut the tip off of each end.
- Then, slice the sweet potato into discs about ½” thick. You can go bigger or smaller depending on preference, but make sure they’re as even as possible so they cook evenly.
- Once you have sweet potato discs cut, you can dice them quickly and easily into uniform cubes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes over a bag that can be discarded afterwards for easy clean up.
- Before cutting into discs, try cutting a little slice off of the sweet potato lengthwise to give it a sturdy base.
- Place a damp paper towel under the cutting board to keep it from sliding around while cutting.
How To Season Roasted Sweet Potatoes
The seasoning makes the sweet potato – is a saying I just made up. But seriously, the seasoning on these sweet potatoes is the best, and SO easy.
It’s great on regular potatoes, and other roasted veggies too!
If you prefer plain roasted sweet potatoes, omit the sweet potato seasoning and just add salt and pepper.
For this seasoning we use:
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Cayenne pepper (optional, if you don’t want a little kick)
- Salt and pepper (add this to taste, we like to use a little extra pepper)
It’s best to mix the spices together in a little bowl before seasoning the sweet potatoes. Once oiled, spices will stick to them pretty quickly. You don’t want to end up with one very salty sweet potato.
Once oiled, just simply sprinkle and toss until they’re evenly coated. We do this right on the baking sheet – time saved and less dishes!
How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
To make oven roasted sweet potatoes:
- Cut the sweet potatoes as above, and arrange on a baking sheet. Use a larger baking sheet than you think you’ll need to give the sweet potatoes room to roast evenly.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, and toss with tongs or your hands to coat them.
- Add the spice mixture, and toss again to coat the sweet potatoes.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes, flipping every 10-15 minutes to ensure even cooking. Sweet potatoes are ready when they’re fork tender, and have a nice, crisp crust on them.
Can You Freeze Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Oven roasted sweet potatoes will last in the fridge for up to 5 days in an air tight container, but are best enjoyed after 2. They will begin to lose their texture.
However, they freeze super well! To freeze roasted sweet potatoes, place the cooled sweet potatoes into a freezer bag and pop them in the freezer. They will keep for up to 6 months.
To reheat roasted sweet potatoes, place them on a baking sheet at 400°F for about 12 minutes or until reheated through.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Tips and Substitutions
- Choosing sweet potatoes: the skin should be firm, even colored, and smooth. Choose sweet potatoes that are roughly the same size. Choose small to medium sweet potatoes, as larger ones tend to taste starchier when roasted.
- Sweet potatoes will shrink when roasted, so if they feel large when cut, don’t worry too much.
- Toss everything right on the baking sheet for easier clean up.
- For brown sugar roasted sweet potatoes, omit the spice seasoning with ¼ cup of brown sugar.
- If you’re making roasted sweet potato discs, don’t dice them into cubes. Roast for 40-50 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
- For less intense spice, omit the cayenne pepper.
- We love adding onion powder, cinnamon, and chili powder to the spice mix. For onion powder, add ½ teaspoon. For chili powder, add ½ teaspoon. For cinnamon, add ¼ teaspoon.
More Simple Side Dishes
- Oven Roasted Beets
- Irish Colcannon
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Honey Glazed Carrots
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes about 3, peeled, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper each
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wash and peel sweet potatoes.
- Combine seasoning ingredients. Set aside
- Cut a thin strip off sweet potato to give it a base, then slice into ½" discs. Dice discs into cubes.
- Add sweet potato cubes to a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture, and toss again to coat evenly.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender with a crisp exterior.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
Pin It For Later: