Oven roasted beets are a simple and delicious side dish that goes with just about any main. Colorful beets are tossed with olive oil and spices, then roasted to tender crisp perfection.
Like most roasted root vegetables, roasted beets are healthy, simple and great with everything. You can dress them up or down however you like. A couple tablespoons of balsamic is great in this oven roasted beets recipe.
We love cooling them and adding some crumbled feta cheese for a roasted beet salad too!
How To Cut Beets
Beets are very firm before cooking (like most root vegetables). They are also notorious for staining everything. To peel them with minimal mess, I suggest wearing gloves.
- Peel the beets, leaving both ends intact.
- Slice the ends off the beats. Then, slice into discs.
- Cut the discs into 1″ cubes.
How To Roast Beets
This is the fun part!
- Add the beets to a cooking dish, or baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle olive oil over the beets, then add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Toss the beets with tongs or your hands to coat them evenly.
- Pop them into an oven preheated to 400°F for 35-45 minutes.
- Stir them every 10 minutes or so to ensure they roast evenly.
Tips For Roasting Beets
- If roasting beets for roasted beet salad, allow to cool before adding to other ingredients.
- Cut beets evenly to ensure even cooking.
- For roasted beets with goat cheese, add crumbled feta or goat cheese after baking.
- For balsamic roasted beets, add 2 tablespoons of balsamic reduction to beets before roasting.
- Wear gloves while working with beets to avoid staining hands.
- To check if beets are done, use a fork. Beets should feel fork tender.
Leftover Roasted Beets
If you have leftover roasted beets, they will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.Once cooled, place in an airtight container.
To freeze roasted beets, place in a freezer bag for up to 6 months.
To reheat from the fridge or freezer, place roasted beets in the oven at 350°F or until heated through.
More Delicious Side Dishes
- Classic Caesar Salad
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Oven Roasted Beets
- 1 pound beets about 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil, set aside.
- Wash and peel beets. To avoid dying hands, wear gloves if desired.
- Slice beets into 1" discs then dice into 1" chunks.
- Add beets to roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Toss to coat evenly.
- Roast for 35-45 minutes or until beets are fork tender, tossing every 10-15 minutes to ensure even roasting.
Pin it for later: