This oven roasted garlic bread recipe is made with a delicious roasted garlic butter spread over a crusty artisan french loaf for a show stealing side dish that’s perfect with everything – from pasta to soup!
How To Make Roasted Garlic Bread
The best garlic bread is made with oven roasted garlic, and this homemade garlic bread is so much tastier than store bought! To make this roasted garlic bread recipe:
Roast the garlic:
- Cut the tips of the garlic heads off, exposing all of the cloves. Drizzle them with olive oil (this helps roast them evenly).
- Wrap the garlic heads tightly with aluminum foil, and roast them for 40 minutes or until caramelized and tender.
- Allow them to cool (roasted garlic burns suck), then squeeze the garlic cloves into a dish. They should come out easily.
- Mash them with a fork, then add parsley and butter to create the garlic bread spread.
Make the garlic bread:
- Slice the french loaf into slices, then spread the roasted garlic butter spread on each slice. Alternatively, you can slice the entire loaf lengthwise, butter it, and slice it up before serving.
- Bake the garlic bread for 10 minutes or until toasted and golden. I sometimes do this directly on the oven rack to ensure the bottoms toast nicely too.
Tips For Making Garlic Bread
- Get creative with the herbs you add to the garlic butter! Rosemary, thyme, and oregano make great compliments to your main dish.
- Set a timer, garlic bread is the easiest thing to forget in the oven while you’re finishing off cooking.
- Use gloves when removing the roasted garlic cloves to avoid garlic on your hands. If you don’t have a stainless steel bar, you’re missing out if you cook with garlic. The sulfur molecules in garlic stick to the stainless steel, taking them off of your hands. They’re super cheap on Amazon, and a life saver when you’re entertaining!
- You don’t need to use a classic french loaf, try making this recipe with a baguette or dinner rolls!
- The roasted garlic butter is super delicious in pasta and spread on burgers and sandwiches too.
- If you’re a fan of cheesy garlic bread, add some fresh grated parmesan, or mozzarella to the slices before baking.
- For garlic bread sticks, slice the bread lengthwise and spread with butter. Once baked, use a pizza cutter or bread knife to slice the halves into sticks.
How To Freeze Garlic Bread
I love making this garlic bread recipe in advance and keeping it in the freezer for a quick last minute side dish!
Once the bread is spread with butter, flash freeze it for a couple hours by laying it out on a baking sheet until frozen. Then, pop them into a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
To use them, preheat the oven to 400°F and arrange on a baking sheet. The garlic bread will take an extra 5-10 minutes when baked from frozen.
More Delicious Side Dishes
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- How To Make Crostini
- Copycat Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Bacon Green Beans Almondine
- Cucumber Vinegar Salad
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
Roasted Garlic Bread
For Roasted Garlic:
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For Roasted Garlic Bread
- 1 french loaf
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup parsley
For Roasted Garlic:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice tips off of garlic heads to expose cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, and wrap tightly with aluminum foil. Roast for 40 minutes, or until garlic is caramelized and tender.
- Allow to cool, then squeeze garlic to remove cloves from skin. Mash with a fork.
For Garlic Bread:
- Slice french bread into slices.
- Mix butter, roasted garlic, and parsley until combined. Spread on each slice of bread.
- Roast garlic bread in oven for 5-10 minutes at 400°F until toasted.
Pin it for later: