This creamy carrot ginger soup is a colorful, healthy, and delicious winter meal. Carrots are simmered in broth with other vegetables, then pureed until smooth.
Garnish this easy carrot soup recipe with some crostini or croutons, thyme, bacon, and cream. Serve it next to warm Irish soda bread or skillet cornbread for the perfect comfort meal!
How To Make Carrot Soup
To make this carrot ginger soup recipe:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a stock pot. Add everything but the broth and garnishes, then saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, then bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Use an emulsifier or hand blender to puree the soup, then serve garnished with cream, thyme, and croutons.
If you don’t have an emulsifier or hand blender:
- Allow the soup to cool before adding it to a stand blender, to avoid cracking the glass.
- Add the soup in batches, then puree until smooth.
- Return carrot soup to heat to reheat through before serving and garnishing.
How Long To Boil Carrots For Carrot Soup
Carrots should only need about 20 minutes or so to fully cook through. I like to use a fork to pierce one and see if they’re soft.
If you want to make this soup faster, just dice the carrots rather than cutting them into chunks. Diced, it should only need to boil for about 10 minutes.
What Goes Well With Carrot Ginger Soup
This soup is so bright and colorful, you’ll want to serve it with other healthy and delicious meals. We love serving it as an appetizer for tuscan chicken pasta and pan seared pork chops!
To keep things vegetarian, try serving carrot ginger soup next to kung pao brussels sprouts and some crusty crostini with bruschetta for the perfect, plant based dinner!
Tips For Making Carrot Soup
- To make a vegan carrot soup recipe, just substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth and use coconut milk in place of heavy cream.
- If you want to serve this soup cold (which is delicious in the summer and similar to a gazpacho), just garnish it once cooled before serving.
- If you don’t have fresh ginger, substitute for 1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger.
- For roasted carrot soup, roast the carrot pieces at 425°F for 15-20 minutes or until tender, rather than simmering them in the broth.
- For curried carrot soup, add 1 teaspoon of curry powder.
- For thai carrot soup, add 2 tablespoons of thai chili sauce, and 1 tablespoon of creamy peanut butter.
More Winter Comfort Foods
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
- Cucumber Vinegar Salad
Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup
- 3 cups carrots peeled and chopped into 2" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons ginger fresh
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- thyme garnish
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream garnish
- Peel carrots and slice into 1" chunks. Dice onion and grate ginger.
- Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, carrots, and ginger to pot and saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, and turn heat to max until it reaches a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Use a hand blender to emulsify soup until smooth. Alternatively, cool soup and add to a blender in batches until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, cream, and croutons.
Tried this recipe? Let me know how you liked it below!
Don’t forget to pin this carrot soup for later: