Air fryer chicken breast is the perfect way to enjoy boneless skinless chicken breasts that are tender and juicy with a perfectly seared exterior.
Why We love Them
Air fryer chicken breast is perfectly seasoned, marinated, and gets the perfect sear and cook time without needing to brown them in a pan and transfer to the oven. They’re perfect with no breading, they’re so great on their own!
They’re ready in just 18 minutes, with a single flip halfway through. You can even cook air fryer chicken breast from frozen, just add about 5 minutes to the cooking time!
Air Fryer Chicken Breast Cooking Times
Air fryer chicken should always be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F. Check the temperature using a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
These are the general times for air fryer chicken breast at 370°F. They may vary slightly depending on the model of the air fryer and how crowded the basket is.
- ½ inch – 11 minutes
- 1 inch – 15 minutes
- 1 ½ inches – 18 minutes
- 2 inches – 22-25 minutes
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Marinate: combine the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add chicken breast, and toss to coat evenly. Cover, and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Air Fry: Preheat the air fryer basket to 400°F for 5 minutes. Once hot, add the marinated chicken breasts to the basket. Air fry at 370°F for 10 minutes, then flip, and air fry for an additional 8-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the breasts. The internal temperature should read 165°F.
- Rest: rest the chicken breast for 5 minutes before slicing or serving.
Tips and Substitutions
- If the chicken breasts are very uneven in thickness, pound the thick part a little bit so they cook evenly.
- Marinating the chicken isn’t necessary, but it adds a ton of flavor to them! If you have the time, it’s definitely worth it.
- If you’d prefer not to marinate the chicken breast, rub them with olive oil, then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning.
- For ease with marinating the chicken, place it in a freezer bag with the marinade ingredients, seal, and shake to coat. Remove excess air from the bag before placing in the fridge.
- For an added kick, add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the marinade.
- Preheating the air fryer makes such a difference. Always remember to preheat the basket before adding the chicken in!
- The chicken needs to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Once the internal temperature reaches 165°F, tent it with some foil while it rests.
Storing and Reheating Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
Chicken breast can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Once the air fryer chicken breast has completely cooled, place it in a plastic bag or air tight container.
Air fryer chicken breast can be frozen for up to 6 months.
- Air fryer: air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 370°F.
- Oven: heat in the oven at 375°F for 7-10 minutes.
- Stove: Pan fry with a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Microwave: microwave on high for 1 ½-2 minutes.
More Air Fryer Favorites
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Corn On The Cob
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Air Fryer Pickles
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
For The Marinade:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce low sodium
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Add chicken breasts, toss to coat. Cover and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Once hot, add chicken breasts, shaking off excess marinade.
- Turn air fryer to 370°F. Air fry for 10 minutes. Flip chicken breasts, and cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Rest chicken for 5 minutes before slicing or serving.
Pin it for later: