Roasted turnips and carrots are an inexpensive side dish that’s inexpensive, seasoned perfectly, then roasted until soft and tender.
Serve this oven roasted turnips and carrots recipe next to mains like pan seared pork chops, or add them into roasted root vegetable soup.
Why We Love Them
This side dish is so simple. A few seasonings, a couple vegetables, about 30 minutes in the oven, and it’s ready to go.
You can change up the seasonings to preference, and to match the main you’re serving them with.
We love adding some cayenne for added kick, or a quick drizzle of honey to go alongside fried chicken!
How To Make Roasted Turnips and Carrots
To roast turnips and carrots:
- Peel the carrots and turnips. Cut into ½” pieces of even thickness.
- Place on a baking sheet. Add olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast at 425°F for 25-30 minutes or until caramelized and fork tender.
Tips For Roasting Turnips and Carrots
- Make sure the turnips and carrots are roughly the same size, so they cook through at the same time.
- To save time and dishes, season everything right on the baking sheet. Toss to coat with your hands or some tongs.
- Don’t forget to flip them! The hot pan adds a dark caramelization to the turnips and carrots.
- Cayenne adds a kick that we love, but omit it if you’re not a fan of spicy food.
- Garnishing with a little chopped parsley adds a freshness to the dish.
Storing Roasted Turnips and Carrots
Leftover turnips and carrots will last in the fridge for up to a week, stored in an air tight container.
Roasted carrots and turnips freeze well too, but you won’t be able to crisp them back up once frozen. Freeze in a freezer bag or freezer safe container for up to 9 months. Defrost a day in the fridge before reheating.
To reheat roasted turnips and carrots, place them in the oven at 425°F for 10-12 minutes.
Alternatively, reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes on full power.
More Roasted Vegetable Side Dishes
- Roasted Radishes
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Beets
Roasted Turnips and Carrots
- 1 pound carrots about 4
- 1 pound turnips about 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped, garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash and peel turnips and carrots. Cut into 1/2" chunks of even thickness. Place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Add seasonings, toss to combine. Arrange turnips and carrots in a single layer.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until fork tender, flipping halfway through roasting.
- Garnish with parsley.
Pin It For Later: