Cinnamon roll cake is a deliciously indulgent dessert made with a quick and easy cake batter, swirled cinnamon filling, and homemade cream cheese icing.
It’s perfect for any time of year, and you most likely have what you need to make it in the baking cupboard!
Cinnamon rolls are a guilty pleasure of ours, and we absolutely love anything to do with them. This cinnamon roll cake recipe is one of them! It’s actually easier to make than regular cinnamon rolls. No. yeast or dough to work with!
Rather than using a glaze or regular ol’ icing, we love using cream cheese icing on this cake for full effect!
Serve cinnamon roll cake slightly warm with a nice glass of milk and you’re all set with a delicious dessert.
How To Make Cinnamon Roll Cake
To make this cinnamon roll swirl cake recipe:
- Combine the cake ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. The batter will be quite thick. Pour it into an 8×8″ baking dish.
- Combine the cinnamon swirl ingredients. This will be a little difficult if the butter isn’t softened.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cinnamon topping on the cake batter. Use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter, kind of like cinnamon rolls.
- Bake for 35-37 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make the icing by combining all ingredients with a mixer. The butter and cream cheese need to be soft to avoid lumps in the icing. You may need more or less milk.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, it’s time to ice! We used a piping bag, but a spatula is all you need as you aren’t really icing the sides.
How To Store Cinnamon Roll Cake
Leftovers? No problem! Cinnamon roll cake can be kept out for up to 8 hours, just make sure it goes in the fridge with some plastic wrap before bed.
The cake will last 4-5 days in the fridge.
Cinnamon roll cake freezes well too! Thanks to the high fat content of cream cheese icing, it’s texture won’t be affected when frozen and thawed.
To freeze, place in the freezer covered with plastic wrap for up to 6 months. Defrost the cake on the counter or in the fridge the day before you want to enjoy it.
More Deliciously Sweet Treats
- Bisquick Peach Cobbler
- Eggnog Whipped Cream
- Strawberry Panna Cotta
- Swedish Cinnamon Buns (Kanelbullar)
Cinnamon Roll Cake
For The Cake:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup butter melted
For The Filling
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
For The Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients. Batter will be thick. Pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Combine ingredients for the cinnamon filling. Drop spoonfuls over batter, and swirl into cake batter using a toothpick or skewer.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, beat icing ingredients over low speed until no lumps remain.
- Allow cake to cool completely before adding icing. Ice using a spatula or piping bag.
Pin It For Later: