This eggnog whipped cream recipe is the perfect topping for any holiday dessert. Full of eggnog flavor, this easy eggless whipped cream recipe has a touch of rum, nutmeg, and powdered sugar to make it delicious on everything – from cheesecake to hot chocolate!
Heavy Cream VS Heavy Whipping Cream
Wondering what to buy? Both are essentially the same thing, but named differently based on your geographical location.
Both heavy cream and whipping cream must contain at least 36% milk fat. Light whipping cream contains 30-35% milk fat, and half and half is essentially half cream and half whole milk, which contains 10.5-18% milk fat. For whipped cream, you need a high fat content, so go for a heavy cream or light whipping cream at a minimum.
Time for some science:
When whipped cream is made, the air bubbles whipped into the cream cause the fat molecules to form in chains and bubbles around the air, which creates the smooth, whipped texture of whipped cream.
Types of Peaks: Explained
What’s the difference between soft peaks and stiff peaks? You’ll hear these terms when making anything whipped, from meringues to whipped cream.
- Soft Peaks: you lift the beater out of the ingredients and peaks form, but they don’t hold their shape, they will fall over
- Stiff Peaks: hold their shape when created, without bending or losing form.
If you’re working with something requiring stiff peaks, it’s rare you can over mix it. When in doubt, add another 30 seconds.
How To Make Eggnog Whipped Cream
Eggnog on its own won’t turn into whipped cream, it needs a little help. To get the full eggnog flavor, you really only need a few tablespoons. To make this eggnog whipped cream recipe:
- Fix a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or use a hand blender to whip the heavy cream over medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar nutmeg and rum, then beat to combine.
- Add eggnog one tablespoon at a time, ensuring you achieve stiff peaks between each addition.
Tips For Making Eggnog Whipped Cream
- If you’d like to omit the rum, it won’t change the consistency. Another great option is adding 1/8 teaspoon of rum extract if you don’t want to lose the flavor.
- Fresh nutmeg is very delicious with this whipped cream.
- Make sure the ingredients are cold. This helps everything thicken and combine better.
- Make sure you have stiff peaks between each addition, or the whipped cream may come out too runny.
- You can make eggnog whipped cream up to 3 days in advance. Store it in the fridge covered or in an airtight container.
More Delicious Sweet Treats
Eggnog Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum or 1/8 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoons eggnog
- Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip cold heavy cream at medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and nutmeg, mix to combine. Add spiced rum, and mix until whipped cream has stiffed peaks.
- Add eggnog one tablespoon at a time until fully combined.
- Store covered for up to 2 days in the fridge.
Tried This Recipe? Let me know how you liked it below!
Don’t forget to pin this for later: