White hot chocolate is a rich, creamy, and elegant drink. Made with just milk, white chocolate, and vanilla, it’ll be the easiest addition to your holiday drink mix!
Because white chocolate is much sweeter and creamier than milk chocolate, there is no need for adding cocoa powder, sugar, or other classic hot chocolate or hot chocolate mix ingredients. The white chocolate literally does ALL the work!
For a peppermint white hot chocolate, all you need is a dash of peppermint extract and some candy cane pieces. White mocha? A shot of espresso will do the trick!
It can be dressed up or down in so many ways. Adult white hot chocolate just needs a shot of Bailey’s or Kahlua, or even a shot of vodka if you’re looking for something like a white russian.
The Best White Chocolate For White Hot Chocolate
White hot chocolate has just 3 ingredients, so it’s important to make sure you get the best white chocolate you can find.
Around 45% of white chocolate is actually derived from the cacao bean, so it’s important to get the good stuff even if it’s white. White chocolate swaps out the caccao solids found in milk and dark chocolate (the dark, bitter part of chocolate) with milk solids.
When looking for good white chocolate, look for a higher percentage on the package. This percentage shows how much cocoa butter is present in the white chocolate. Higher is generally better – it’ll melt easier, taste better, and create a creamy, smooth hot chocolate.
White chocolate chips are designed to hold their shape during baking and cooking, so they aren’t the best option for white hot chocolate.
How To Make White Hot Chocolate
To make white hot chocolate:
- Heat milk, vanilla, and white chocolate on low heat.
- Continue stirring until no chocolate pieces remain and white hot chocolate is smooth
- Top with your favorite hot chocolate toppings.
To make CrockPot white hot chocolate:
- Add milk, white chocolate, and vanilla to a CrockPot on low.
- Heat for 1 hour or until smooth.
White Hot Chocolate Toppings
Here are some delicious white hot chocolate topping ideas:
- White chocolate chips
- Crushed candy cane pieces
- Whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows
- Large marshmallows
What To Do With Leftover White Hot Chocolate
Leftover white hot chocolate will last 3-4 days in the fridge, in an air tight container.
To reheat white hot chocolate, heat it in a saucepan over medium low heat until hot.
White hot chocolate doesn’t freeze well, as the texture of the milk will change.
More Winter Favorites
- Cranberry Moscow Mule
- Cranberry Pecan Cheese Ball Bites
- Love Potion Drink
- Shamrock Shakes
- Franks Buffalo Chicken Dip
White Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup white chocolate or white chocolate chips, good quality
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- optional garnishes: whipped cream, marshmallows, candy cane pieces, white chocolate chips
- Heat milk, chocolate, and vanilla over medium low heat in a saucepan.
- Continue heating until no chocolate remains and white hot chocolate is smooth.
- Serve, and garnish with your favorite toppings.