This taco meatball casserole is an easy, fun, and delicious meal that the whole family will love. Taco meatballs are simmered in a tomato taco sauce, topped with cheese, and baked until hot and bubbly. Add your favorite taco toppings for the perfect dinner!
Taco night is always fun, but this interesting twist on classic taco ingredients makes it even better. The meatballs are filled with taco seasoning, and the quick homemade taco sauce is simple and compliments the taco meatball casserole perfectly.
Taco Meatball Casserole
This recipe takes about an hour, but it’s seriously good. I like to make it the day after taco night to use up the leftover veggies from prep the previous night and save even more time.
When I make this easy meatball casserole, I like to cook the meatballs directly in the sauce. If you prefer, sear them in a pan for a few minutes on each side before adding them to the casserole!
How Do You Make Meatballs
To make these taco meatballs:
- Combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, mix everything together until combined. Be careful not to over mix the meat or the meatballs will be dense and dry.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, form the meat into approximately 24 meatballs.
How To Make Taco Sauce
This tomato taco sauce is simple, and super easy. If you don’t have taco seasoning packets, homemade taco seasoning is always delicious.
To make taco sauce:
- Pour pasta sauce into a bowl
- Add taco seasoning and other seasonings
- Mix until well combined
How To Make Taco Meatball Casserole
This taco meatball casserole recipe is super easy.
- Make the taco sauce and set aside.
- Make the meatballs. In an 8×8 baking dish, spread 1/2 cup of taco sauce. Place meatballs over the sauce in the dish.
- Top with remaining taco sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350°F or until the meatballs have an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Top with desired taco toppings and serve as is, or over pasta.
The Best Taco Toppings
If I am entertaining, I love putting the toppings out and letting everyone create their own taco meatball casserole. My favorite toppings include:
- Diced jalapenos
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced red onions
- Green onions
- Sour cream
More Recipes You’ll Love
Taco Meatball Casserole
For the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs seasoned
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder optional
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese cheddar or tex mex
- chopped lettuce garnish
- diced tomatoes garnish
- diced onions garnish
- diced jalapenos optional, garnish
- chopped cilantro garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the sauce: combine all ingredients for the taco sauce. Set aside.
- Make the meatballs: combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a medium mixing bowl, being careful not to over mix them. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, form approximately 24 meatballs.
- Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in an 8x8 baking dish. Place the meatballs in the dish, then cover with remaining sauce.
- Top the meatball casserole with cheese and bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165°F. If cheese browns too quickly, cover casserole for the rest of baking.
- Top taco meatball casserole with taco toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, red onions, sour cream cilantro, and salsa. Serve over pasta or on its own.