Once you know how to make kettle corn, you’ll never want to buy microwave popcorn again. Homemade kettle corn is a sweet and salty treat that is easy to make. Movie night just got an upgrade!
Whenever I visit with my little sister, we love curling up in our pajamas with a movie. She loves getting to pick out a sweet treat at the store, and then a movie for us to watch together!
We always whip up this kettle corn recipe to watch with our movie, there’s something kids absolutely love about making popcorn. It’s such a fun bonding time!
Homemade Kettle Corn
It’s also way healthier and cheaper to make homemade kettle corn – you’re using unpopped kernels, vegetable oil, and sugar. That’s it! No chemicals or other additives that you’d find in microwave popcorn or bagged popcorn.
What Is Kettle Corn
Kettle corn is a version of popcorn that is sweetened during cooking. This gives the popcorn a delicious sweet and salty flavor as it pops, creating a crunchy coating on its exterior. It was found referenced the diaries of Dutch settlers in the 18th century, who came to Pennsylvania.
Kettle corn is very popular throughout the USA at fairs, rodeos, and carnivals. Making it at home is just as good though!
How To Make Kettle Corn
Making kettle corn is seriously easy, but all popcorn can burn quickly. It’s important to watch the pot closely! To make kettle corn:
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot – I use a stockpot
- Add in the sugar, salt, and popcorn kernels
- Cover with a lid and shake to keep the popcorn and sugar from burning
- Continue shaking as the popcorn pops to move the unpopped kernels to the bottom
- Once the popping has slowed down, remove the kettle corn from the heat
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent the sugar from clumping together. Serve
Popcorn Add Ins
Kettle corn is full of sweet and salty flavor, but it’s always fun to create a little mix when you’re enjoying it. If I am throwing a birthday party, I like to set different toppings out for the kids and let them create their own popcorn mix!
- Jelly beans
- Skor pieces
- Chocolate covered raisins
- Crushed Oreos
- Snickers pieces
- Garlic powder
- Cinnamon sugar
- Cheese powder
- Dill pickle seasoning
- Ranch powder
Other Great Additions
- Bacon bits
- Pumpkin spice
- Toasted coconut
- Parmesan cheese
- Banana chips
- Chocolate chips
More Recipes You’ll Love
The Best Italian Meatball Recipe
How To Make Kettle Corn
- 2/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add in the popcorn kernels, sugar, and salt.
- Cover the pot with a lid and shake continuously. Continue to shake the pot over the heat as the popcorn pops.
- Once the popping has slowed down, immediately remove the kettle corn from heat.
- Allow the kettle corn to cool for about 5 minutes before serving, stirring often to prevent the sugar from clumping.
Tried this recipe? Let me know how you liked it below!
I would love it if you pinned this for later!