Homemade fajita seasoning is absolutely amazing have on hand, and tastes so much better than store bought!
Serve it with shrimp fajitas, mixed into rice, or on tacos for the perfect amount of spice!
We use this fajita seasoning for SO many recipes. Homemade fajita seasoning is great because you can adapt it to suit your tastes perfectly.
Not a fan of spice? omit the cayenne pepper. Cutting back on salt or sugar? You can skip those too. Garlic lover? Add some extra garlic powder. There are so many ways to go with homemade spice mixes!
Fajita Seasoning Ingredients
Here’s what each spice does in fajita seasoning:
- chili powder – added for flavor
- cornstarch – acts as a binder when fajita seasoning is used
- cumin – also a big flavor component
- paprika – a lot of color and adds some flavor
- sugar – helps bring the spices together
- cayenne pepper – for heat, we love using 1/2 a teaspoon!
- garlic & onion powders – delicious in everything
Fajita seasoning mix is great on everything. We even love adding it into sauteed veggies, rice, casseroles, and on roasted chicken!
How To Make Fajita Seasoning
To make fajita seasoning:
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Store in a cool, dry, place in a container for up to 6 months.
How To Store Fajita Seasoning
We bought some of these cute spice jars off of Amazon to keep our extra homemade spices and they come in super handy. We just label, date them, and they’re good to go!
You can also save an empty disposable spice jar if you’d like, those work super well too. Just remember to switch the label over so you remember the fajita seasoning!
Try Fajita Seasoning In These Recipes
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Franks Buffalo Chicken Dip
- American Goulash
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Air Fryer Asparagus
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.