Ham and cheese croissant bake is an easy overnight casserole made with croissants, ham, and white cheddar cheese soaked overnight then baked until hot and bubbly.
Why We Love It
This overnight breakfast casserole recipe uses day old croissants, and cooked ham. It’s the perfect way to use up your leftovers.
If you don’t happen to have leftover croissants laying around, dry some out in the oven at 250°F for about an hour (the drier they are, the more egg mixture they will soak up).
If you’re entertaining, you can whip this up the night before, and when brunch rolls around, just pop it in the oven. It’s simple, elegant, and fun!
Plus, it’s topped with everything bagel seasoning, which is arguably the best part of any breakfast!
How To Make Ham and Cheese Croissant Bake
To make this ham and cheese overnight casserole:
- LAYER: Place the croissants in a 9×13″ baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese, ham, and green onions.
- POUR: Combine the milk and eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Pour the mixture over the croissant layer.
- SOAK: Soak the casserole overnight, or for a minimum for 4 hours. The longer, the better!
- BAKE: Bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- SERVE: Garnish with everything bagel seasoning, and green onions, and serve.
Tips and Substitutions
- The croissants should be pretty stale, in order for the egg/milk mixture to soak up properly.
- White cheddar adds a ton of flavor while not being overpowering, like orange cheddar can be. If you’d like, try mixing the two together. We also love mixing 50/50 white cheddar and swiss!
- Cut the croissants in different sizes. This makes it look interesting once it’s all layered together!
- The breakfast casserole is fully baked when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If you’re not a fan of cooked green onions, feel free to leave them out and use them as a garnish, so they’re fresh on top.
- We love using just a bit of pepper if we don’t have any everything bagel seasoning on hand.
- For an even richer brunch, serve this next to hollandaise sauce.
- For an added kick, top it with a little sriracha. Everything’s better with sriracha.
Storing and Reheating
If there are any leftovers, they can be stored in the fridge wrapped with plastic wrap for up to 4 days. Ham and cheese croissant bake does not freeze well.
To reheat, bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes covered with foil so the top doesn’t continue to brown.
Alternatively, you can microwave on high for around 2 minutes or until heated through.
More Fun Breakfast Recipes
- Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Swedish Cinnamon Buns (Kanelbullar)
- Candied Bacon
- Strawberry Bread with Glaze
- Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
Ham and Cheese Croissant Bake
- 12 croissants day old, see note
- 6 eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups ham cooked, cubed
- 3 green onions chopped, divided
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- Cut croissants into varying sizes - ½, ⅓, and bite sized. Place in the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish. Sprinkle with cubed ham, ⅔ of the green onions, and ½ of the white cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a medium mixing bowl until combined. Pour over prepared croissant mixture. Top with remaining cheese and green onions. Cover, and chill for 4 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake overnight casserole for 35-40 minutes, or until egg mixture has set and top is golden. Top with everything bagel seasoning. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Pin it for later: