Cheesy broccoli and rice is the perfect, dump and bake side dish. White rice and chicken broth are added to a baking dish with broccoli, then topped with cheddar cheese and baked into the perfect dish.
Why We Love It
After a busy weekday, you just want to get dinner ready quickly.
This cheesy broccoli and rice casserole is perfect for that – you just add everything to a baking dish and throw it in the oven.
This dish is simple, and doesn’t need a homemade cheese sauce, or contain condensed soup. With just 4 ingredients, it’s the perfect thing to add to your weeknight meal rotation.
The chicken broth adds so much flavor to the rice, and the broccoli steams while the rice bakes. Add some cheese, and you have the perfect side dish!
How To Make Cheesy Broccoli and Rice
To make this easy dump and bake casserole:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour the rice into a 9×9″ baking dish. Top with broccoli florets. Pour chicken broth over the rice and broccoli.
- Cover, and bake for 27-30 minutes or until rice is fork tender.
- Remove foil, top with cheese, and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Tips and Substitutions For Cheesy Broccoli and Rice
- For a complete meal, add some rotisserie chicken, or whip up some chicken breasts or thighs to add into the dish.
- Brown rice is a great way to make this even healthier. If you use something other than white rice, you will need to adjust the baking time accordingly.
- If the rice takes a little longer to cook, don’t worry! I’ve had the casserole be ready in 25 minutes, and take up to 5o before the rice is fully cooked. Just cover it, and return it to the oven.
- As the rice cooks, it will fill the dish you use quickly. Make sure you have a big enough dish, and portion the rice correctly (1 ½ cups should serve 4 people well).
Storing and Reheating The Leftovers
Leftovers? No problem! Cheesy rice with broccoli is great to add to lunches, enjoy as a snack, or serve with another meal.
Once the casserole has cooled to room temperature, store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Chicken broth can’t be enjoyed after longer than that, so make sure you reheat before then!
To reheat cheddar broccoli and rice:
- Oven: Bake, covered, for 10 minutes at 350°F or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Microwave: Microwave on 30 second intervals or until heated through.
More Simple Side Dishes
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Bacon Green Beans Almondine
- Roasted Radishes
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Easy Creamed Spinach
Cheesy Broccoli and Rice
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add uncooked rice to a 9x9" baking dish. Top with broccoli florets. Pour chicken broth over broccoli.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until rice is cooked through.
- Remove foil. Top with cheddar cheese. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Pin it for later: