Parmesan lemon orzo is an easy and delicious addition to any meal. Ready in just 20 minutes, this side dish is fresh, creamy, and great with everything!
Orzo is one of my favorite things ever. It can be used for orzo pasta salad, orzo pilaf, just about anything. It is perfect next to Greek lemon chicken, Peruvian chicken, or even on its own as a quick lunch or snack!
What’s In Parmesan Lemon Orzo?
Here’s what I add:
- Chicken broth
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Parmesan cheese
Let’s Make It
To make this orzo:
- SAUTE: saute the orzo in butter until browned. Add garlic, and cook for another minute.
- SIMMER: add the chicken broth or water, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until cooked.
- SERVE: add the parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Serve garnished with parsley
Orzo tends to stick when cooled, as the starches bind the orzo together. When reheating, make sure you add a tablespoon of liquid per cup and stir it.
I like to reheat it in the microwave, but the stovetop works well too!
Other Delicious Side Dishes
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Rice Pilaf with Orzo
- Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint
- Ramen Noodle Salad
- The Best Bruschetta Recipe
Lemon Parmesan Orzo
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice fresh, about 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shaved or grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped, garnish
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add orzo, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until browned. Add garlic, and cook for an additional minute or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add water. Cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until orzo is cooked.
- Fluff with a fork. Stir in parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Garnish with parsley.