This copycat McDonald’s shamrock shake recipe is creamy, minty, and perfect for St Patrick’s Day.
We love whipping up some homemade shamrock shakes alongside Irish Guinness stew, or fried cabbage and sausage and Irish soda bread for the perfect St Patrick’s Day feast. Don’t forget the Guinness brownies!
Homemade shamrock shakes can be made all year ’round, with ingredients kept on hand. You no longer have to wait for McDonald’s to serve shamrock shakes to enjoy the minty goodness!
What Flavor Is A Shamrock Shake
Shamrock shakes are flavored with mint flavoring (not peppermint), then dyed a light, pastel green color using food dye.
The mint flavor in a shamrock shake pairs perfectly with the creaminess from ice cream!
Shamrock Shake Ingredients
A shamrock shake has these ingredients:
- Vanilla ice cream – the main ingredient for most milkshakes
- Milk – to help thin them out slightly
- Vanilla – adds to the vanilla ice cream flavor
- Mint extract – to add mint flavor
- Green food coloring – to add color
- Garnishes – whipped cream, cherries, and green sanding sugar
How To Make A Shamrock Shake
Work quickly when making shamrock shakes so they don’t melt.
To make homemade shamrock shakes:
- Combine ice cream, vanilla, milk, mint extract, and green food coloring in a blender until smooth. Add more or less food coloring depending on preference.
- Pour milkshake into serving cups. Add whipped cream, sanding sugar, and garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Shamrock Shake Tips and Substitutions
- For easier ice cream scooping, run hot water over the ice cream scoop or spoon before using it.
- If you’d like a darker green color, add 2-3 drops of food coloring at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- To keep the maraschino cherry from dying whipped cream red, place it on a paper towel to dry off before placing on the shamrock shake.
- For oreo shamrock shakes, add 4-6 oreos to the blender.
- For a boozy shamrock shake or adult shamrock shake with alcohol, add 1 shot of creme de menthe, 1 shot of Bailey’s, or 1 shot of vanilla vodka.
More Delicious Drink Recipes
- Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Green Prosecco Cocktail
- White Hot Chocolate
- Irish Coffee
- Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract pure mint, not peppermint
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- green sanding sugar for serving
- whipped cream for serving
- maraschino cherries garnish
- Combine ice cream, vanilla, green food coloring, mint extract, and milk in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into 4 cups. Top with whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and green sugar or sprinkles.
Pin it for later: