Bacon Bourbon Mac and Cheese
Servings: 8 servings
Loaded with bacon and smokey bourbon, this cheesy mac and cheese is our favorite!
I'd love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rating below!
- 8 ounces macaroni noodles dry
- 6 slices bacon
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons bourbon Jack Daniel's Whiskey, or other
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper each, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional, to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 ½ cups gouda cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cook macaroni noodles in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Set aside.
In an oven safe skillet, fry bacon. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels. Reserve 3 tablespoons of bacon fat. Over medium heat, whisk in flour to create the roux. Brown for 1 minute.
Add bourbon, whisking until incorporated. Slowly whisk in milk, ½ cup at a time. Once fully incorporated, add heavy cream. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat. Add gouda, and 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese. Stir until melted. Taste, and add salt and pepper. Stir in bacon, add macaroni noodles. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, uncovered, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.